What is Ovestin cream?
Ovestin vaginal cream/pessaries contain the active ingredient oestriol, which is a naturally occurring form of oestrogen.
What is it used for?
- Ovestin is used in post menopausal women.
- Ovestin is used for relief of symptoms occurring after menopause.
- The shortage of oestrogens during menopause may cause the vaginal wall to become thin and dry. As a result, sexual intercourse may become painful and vaginal itching/irritation and infections may occur (atrophic vaginitis).
- Oestrogen deficiency may also lead to symptoms like urinary incontinence and recurrent cystitis.
- Treating the vaginal tissues before and after vaginal surgery, e.g. For vaginal prolapse.